Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dual First Communion

I've probably already mentioned it a few times, but this Saturday both our children are having their First Communion. They are two years apart but our church is small so they combine classes (only 9 children ages 7-10). Anyway, I've been so focused on outfits, food, guests and house cleaning that it didn't really occur to me until today that I really should make them extra special cards for the occasion! Duh- I am a "card lady"!

Anyway, I knew right away I wanted to make different cards for them so they are unique and special. I just didn't know they'd end up THIS different! I am happy with both and think they will be too. I started out searching SCS with the words "First Communion" and gathered ideas then went from there.

Here's my son's by itself. His is textured and natural and symbollic too with the grapes and wheat and cross. I used the Linen and Weathered backgrounds as well as sponging and distressing to add to the look. The sentiment "Your First Holy Communion" I typed on the computer, selected the best font and color then printed on typing paper first to check size and color. After adjustments I ran my nice SU Vanilla cardstock through the printer then punched it out with the Curly Label punch.

I have no religous themed stamps so I made the cross myself out of strips of paper. Sponged, stamped and used the ticket punch on the corners (tried rounding but that didn't look so good) then wrapped some linen thread around it. The cross and the sentiment are raised on pop dots (dimensionals).

Supplies are SUO:

Stamps: Blossoms Abound, The Art of Life, Fancy Flexible Phrases (for 'blessed'), Linen, Weathered

Cardstock: Creamy Caramel, Very Vanilla

Ink: Mellow Moss, Elegant Eggplant, Creamy Caramel

Accessories: Curly Label Punch, Distressing tool, sponge, word window punch, 3/4" square punch, ticket punch, linen thread


This is my daughter's card- obviously. Much more girly, swirly and sparkly! Just her style. I started out thinking I'd use my Pink Piriouette felt flowers to do this but decided I just didn't have the heart to use them ALL at once (at least all of what I have left!). So, I used one flower from the Spring Bouquet punch.

The white paper is shimmery white so it has a sparkle to it. I ran that through the Big Shot with a Texturz Plate for the dimension of embossing. There is a pink rhinestone brad in the center which she'll LOVE! The sentiment was typed again then printed on my last scrap of shimmery white paper and punched with the scallop square punch.

The pink ribbon is taffeta- which is behind the shimmery white layer but comes out behind the sentiment where I punched a vertical slot with the horizontal slot punch (go figure!). I'm not entirely sure about the bow placement but it tied so perfectly the first time, plus my sentiment is glued down and the hole is punched so it is either staying or completely gone, but it can't be moved!

SUO Supplies

Stamps: none!

Cardstock: Shimmery White, Pink Pirouette

Accessories: Big Shot, Texturz Plates, Spring Bouquet punch, Square rhinestone brad, Scallop square punch, pink taffeta ribbon

Wow, that is a long post! Thanks for sticking with me this far, if you have. Hopefully if you need a First Communion card I've got you covered as far as inspiration goes for a boy or a girl!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Kristin

9 comments:

  1. Love these cards! I came across your post in SCS and just had to click on your blog for more information :)

    Thanks for the inspiration, the cards are both very special indeed.

    Alex from England x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fabulous, Kristin! Love how different they turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, your cards are so special and I know your children will love and treasure them. Get them into their scrapbooks ... fast! Hope you'll post pictures of the special event because I love the dress your daughter chose.
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great cards, Kristin! Have a wonderful celebration on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful for your children. You will have to add them to a scrapbook page about their first communion!

    Stampin' Smiles from Ear to Ear,
    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very special cards Kristin! So imaginative and they turned out perfectly. And please leave the pink bow just as it is as it's lovely!

    Thanks for sharing all the details. I have a family first communion coming up and the cross you created for your son is perfect! My nephew is not at all girly and thinks all the cards he's seen so far are Yetch! Oh well boys will be boys. Now if only I had a niece to make the wonderful flower cross for!

    Hugs and blessings - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are beautiful and creative! I really don't have any stamps either that would work for this occasion, so thanks so much for the inspiration. Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just love these cards. I have twins who are also making their first communion this weekend. I love the sentiment also!

    I hope you don't mind me casing your wonderful idea!

    Pam S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)